This post is titled Again with the LILO L 99 99 99 99 99 thing... by author SoulJah. But this time I had already backed up everything on my shiny new 120 Gig so I was not afraid to go fixmbr it.

Oh, for those just tuning in, I had a problem months ago with my LILO still hanging around after I formatted my Slackware partition. Hell it wasn't giving me any trouble (I had it to boot into XP immediately without waiting for user input) so I just left the 2 Gig unusable partition alone.

Then recently that L 99 99 99 99 99 came back again, prolly reminding me that this laptop is not that invincible afterall.

So getting back to my first paragraph...

So I just fixmbr it... The thing is, I was afraid of doing that because online sites said that I shouldn't be messing with it if it's not giving me any problems accessing the drive. But, yeah, I just got pissed, borrowed a bootable CD from a friend at work, got into the recovery console running of the CD, and without fanfare, the LILO bootup screen is gone.

So this is just a friendly solution for you guys who's having problems with the LILO bootup manager. Install the Recovery Console for your XP, and then just fixmbr it. Well I don't know about you guys, but I'd better backup the system if I were you. Just to be safe and all. I find that the XP backup facility can do it just fine. Go for it.

Posted by SoulJah at 8:41:00 AM

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

ETCETERA

XML + Else

Last.fm CSS Reboot Blogger 

Icon Opera

Twitter

    Flickr

    SoulJah. Get 

yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr